Sunday, December 5, 2010

Let's take a picture together

I went down to Las Cruces,NM with three friend to cover the New Mexico Lobos and New Mexico State Aggies basketball game. The game ended with 84-78, the Lobos won.

It was a fun trip. And I started noticing that people love getting together and taking pictures. It kept reminding me the first few paragraphs I read in Roland Barthes' book Camera Lucida, Barthes says "show your photographs to someone- he will immediately show you his: 'Look, this is my brother; this is me as a child,' etc.; the photograph is never anything but an antiphon of 'Look,' 'See,' 'Here it is'; it points a finger at certain vis-a-vis (It's French,I don't know what this means), and cannot escape this pure deictic language. This is why, insofar as it is licit to speak of a photograph, it seemed to me just as improbable to speak of the Photograph."

What do you think?



Anyway, I'm stressful today. To me, there is one more week left then the fall semester is over. I'm planning on the summer internships, the spring break trip to NYC, the NPPA workshop in Warwick, RI for next year.

I should just write my final paper for the art history class now.
BTW, my topic is about the ethics in photojournalism. I started with talking about Kevin Carter.

No comments:

Post a Comment