Monday, January 31, 2011

the other side of the fence is another world-Part One


On the other side of the fence is another world

I took another trip to Juárez last Thursday to start my project in Colonial Anapra. On my way crossing the border back on Sunday, the US border patrol asked me if I went to Juárez by myself.
I said yes.
Her respond was "You are so brave."
Before I left for this trip, so many of my friends told me not to go, regarding the violence.
I did not really listen to them but I got scared everyday by reading the number of people being killed from the news everyday.

I called my parents the day before I left, the only thing I said was "I think if I don't bother anybody, nobody's going to bother me." My parents are in China, and media there don't really talked about the drug related violence on the border of the U.S and Mexico. One reason was there's no Chinese media there. Because of that, my parents don't know what is going on in Juárez.

---------------
The next post, I will talk about what I've done in Juárez.
---------------

I took the photo below on Saturday after the bi-national anti-war, anti-racism protest on the border.
Those kids are holding the balloons they got from the people on the U.S side. On their left is the fence which divides the land into two different countries. In the back is the Mount Criso Rey which is on the intersection of New Mexico, Texas and Mexico.

1 comment: