Friday, February 4, 2011

the other side of the fence is another world -Part Two

On the other side of the fence is another world

Last Thursday, I drove five hours from Albuquerque, NM to Juárez, México by myself. This is the first time I went to Juárez alone. After crossing the border, I started getting a little bit nervous. I didn't speak Spanish very well and I was at this place that supposed to be very dangerous.

When I arrived at the community center Amigos en Cristo, I saw the kids, all the anxious was gone. The local artist 'Bandidos" was giving the children an art history quiz. My friend Pastor Misael Lorea introduced me to all the kids and told them that I will teach a photography class on Friday.

Before I left for the trip, I started reading Wendy Ewald's books which are really helpful for my project. The ways of teaching children photography are different from how I learned it.
Adults have more knowledge, in another case they have more restrictions which prevent them from being creative.

I was also reading the book Ways of Seeing by John Berger.
He said, "The way we see things is affected by what we know or what we believe."

-----------------
In the next post, I will talk about the photo class I taught.
-----------------

Children at Bandido's art history class in Amigos en Cristo community center on Jan. 27, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment